Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Because everyone always asks...


Because everyone always asks...

I started officially homeschooling Noah last year (2005) for 1st grade. I love it and highly recommend it. I have so much to say about homeschooling. It's hard to know what to say or where to start because I don't want to offend people.

For me though, I had always wanted to homeschool my kids since I was a teen and saw moms in my church, who I adored, investing in their kids through homeschooling. Since then, I've just learned so much more about the value of homeschool verses public school (& private school).

We did let Noah attend public school for kindergarten because I had to juggle a baby and a toddler at home. But, I've had to undo a lot of 'things' that don't mesh with a more individualized education. For example, we worked repeatedly on instilling in him the idea that learning doesn't have to be in a formal classroom setting--he has the opportunity to learn anywhere and anytime, whatever the event or activity. If I could do it over again, I would've just kept him home.

For our first official year, we just signed up with an ISP private homeschool group. But there are different ways to 'organize' your homeschooling, as well as many different ways to 'do' homeschooling or teaching styles to use.

Really, though, homeschooling can begin anytime. You could start teaching your child/ren anything at anytime (and you've proabably have already taught her stuff whether you realized it or not...once you get into it, there isn't any real distinction between parenting and teaching). The only real technical thing is that you must have your child/ren 'enrolled' in a 'school' by 1st grade.

If you wanted to learn more about homeschooling--what it is like or how to get started--you can ask me anything. For some basic information to get you really thinking, there is a website I can recommend.

http://www.consideringhomeschooling.com/

Or, if you're into reading books, Karen Andreola's "A Charlotte Mason Companion" or Clay & Sally Clarkson's "Educating the WholeHearted Child: A Handbook for Christian Home Education" and "Raising Lifelong Learners" by Lucy Calkins are really good!!

-----------

I was often told before that "everything you need to teach in a school setting could be condensed into two hours (or less) of one-on-one home-instruction." And...that's what I've found to be true. It doesn't even have to be a straight two-hour session. Boys, especially, have to eat and play between lessons. And homeschooling is portable. You can have school at the park, read a book in a waiting room, or take lots of fieldtrips or take 'schooling' on vacation. It doesn't even have to be the traditional M-F. You can do school on the weekend when both parents can participate. You can have school year-round and take breaks when it's convenient for your family schedule. Practically anything goes. Homeschooling is a family lifestyle--that conscious effort to take every opportunity and make it a learning experience. All the while, the parent is learning, growing, connecting, too.

What really helped me, though, is that homeschooling is no longer an "on-your-own" adventure. There are so many homeschool groups, resources and support groups that help in sooo many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment