Well my appointment got moved up to 11. So, I am at the library for the next hour. I want to tell you about my good day yesterday. There were so many good moments in my day. I am so thankful to Hashem for the good he has put in my life.
What really made my day was in the late morning when I was at Harvard Square waiting at the train station. There was a man there playing his cello. The music echoed throughout and filled every chamber and spoke to my soul. I don't know about you, but I love music. When I was first adopted, I learned English through songs. All while I was growing up I was in choir and was well acquainted with music and singing. So that moment at the station was very celestial and special. It really set the tone for my day. I told the cellist how much I appreciated the music and that I felt bad that I didn't have any money to give him. Anyhow, he said he was happy that I was able to enjoy it.
The bookstore man was very much obliged to exchanged the Siddur I had for the transliterated version. The book bindings look very similar and so it was an accident. I browsed the bookstore some more and found a whole new level downstairs filled with kids' educational material for Jewish learning. For lunch I ate at a Jewish-owned restaurant. I had a falafel in pita shell with water to drink. The sandwich was very dense, I couldn't eat the whole thing. After that, I went to the library in Brookline. I had Israeli food for dinner. It was expensive-$12! But I wanted to try it. I had kabob and salad with a pita bread and tap-water to drink. I think I could last a week without eating after all the carbs I ate yesterday.
I sat in the restaurant and talked to my best friend, Erin, on the phone. It was good to talk and we are making our peace. We, of course, don't want to lose our friendship during this time, but it does take some time to reconnect in a new way when our beliefs are different. She truly loves me, as I do her, and that is comforting.
I sat in the restaurant and talked to my best friend, Erin, on the phone. It was good to talk and we are making our peace. We, of course, don't want to lose our friendship during this time, but it does take some time to reconnect in a new way when our beliefs are different. She truly loves me, as I do her, and that is comforting.
I then decided that I was going to go to this Introduction to Kabbalah class/lecture. It was interesting, but it was a little secular--not wholly Jewish. Anyway, it answered my questions about it for now.
On my way home I talked to another friend, Ginger, about finding a place to stay when I return to CA. She said she would ask around. Then she asked about me and my transition time. So we had a long talk. She was loving and supportive. I am grateful that we are friends. I am beginning to really see who my kindred spirits are and it is reassuring.
I talked to my kids, too. They had their first day of public school which is bitter sweet for me. I am trying to ignore my ambivalence about the whole thing. Although, Noah said he doesn't like it because he can't spell. I told him that it was my fault because I hadn't taught phonics to him yet. But, I reassured him that he will be able to learn it quickly because he is a good sight-reader--he reads at 5th grade level and he's only a beginning 4th grader. Allie went to (half-day) kindergarten and she loves it. She announced that she had 2 new friends! Maria isn't in school yet because parents are suppose to open a special education plan before placement in any school. The whole public school thing makes me a little sick to my stomach, but I'll get over it.
There were so many joyous moments in my day (I just read about the Hebrew word for that, but it escapes me), I am waiting expectantly for what today holds.
The cello musician was playing again today. I was elated. I wasn't in any hurry so I waited for the second train to come. I happened to have cash today, so I was able to properly show my appreciation. He is a troubador, so he will only be there a few more days.
Please pray for me when/if you get the chance. I will go in to talk to the Rabbi in about an hour. I am a little nervous, so I am going to mentally prepare and gather my thoughts.
No comments:
Post a Comment