Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

happy minyan, oneg and new friends


I have been going to Happy Minyan regularly for Friday Kabbalat services.

First of all, the service was wonderful. I usually take my transliterated siddur so then I am able to follow along in Hebrew and sing all the songs. There were a lot of people there this past shabbos because of the JConnect event. It was an amazing night. The men got really celebratory...I think there were several Chassidic men there. And in true Happy Minyan style, there was some incredible dancing on the men's side. Towards the end, they had moved all the chairs to make room for dancing and the machitzah got bumped several times so that eventually we could see this circle of men really getting into the dancing. The cutest thing was that little boy with down's syndrome that usually goes to the Chabad shul down the street was part of the circle. He was such a good dancer and he was so inspirational! And afterward the men were hugging and kissing him. It was so cute!

I really enjoy going to the Happy Minyan on Friday nights.

Then, after the service, people all stood around while they met up with the host families for dinners. I had planned that I would walk with Ingrid and Aviva because they were at another host family's house that was on the same street as mine but was several blocks south. I really was kinda nervous about being at the same house as your scary friend and then not knowing anyone else. Before we left the Happy Minyan, I saw Eric Rosen and we found out we were going to the same house. I felt less nervous because I am pretty comfortable with Eric and at least I knew someone.

Just before the walk, I met the other girl, Melody, who was also going to the Mizal's. Melody was totally new to the area, so we ended up walking and talking together in front of our group. Your friend and Cheston were right behind us in the pack when we were walking. It seemed like Melody and I were going to be the only two girls. After we got there 2-3 other girls showed up, so we had a nice group of ladies down at our end of the table.

I don't know how I met your friend, exactly. I know we were introduced at one point during the night. He was very nice and seemed to know almost everyone or at least was very friendly to everyone. When we had to wash, he stood around and helped anyone who needed help with the berakhah. I don't know if he noticed, but I forgot to pour the water the proper way for eat bread. Oh well. I said the berakhah and then dried my hands with a paper towel. I went to throw the towel away and then I forgot and started to ask aloud (kinda to myself) where was the trash can.

I had just learned last weekend, when I was in an orthodox home over in Hancock Park, that if you talk after washing then you can simply wash again but you shouldn't say the berachah again. So I had to stand in line again and wash (this time I washed the correct way). Your friend asked why I was washing again and I said under my breath that I had talked. Anyway, he was very nice and didn't make a big deal. I was under the impression before that he was loud and forward and that can be intimidating to me. But he wasn't at all like that.

He sat near the middle of the table on the opposite side and I sat at the end. We really didn't talk much. Of course Cheston and Lara have this tradition that everyone had to say their name and say something (about themselves, d'vora torah, or whatever). I really don't like attention and being put on the spot. All the guys said something amazing and spiritually uplifting to say. The girls were shy and mostly shared something nice that happened for them that week. I thought of something spiritual, but I really didn't feel comfortable sharing with the group. I just said my name and I shared that I was thankful for the friends that G-d has put in my life and how it seemed that G-d was positioning special people for a specific purpose. Of course, Lara was not satisfied with that and spoke up and said how she didn't know me and so she inquired about where I was from. I had to share in front of the group, with all attention focused on me. I really don't like that. But anyway, I said that I am from Southern California, I grew up in the Inland Empire, in San Bernardino and that I just moved to LA (or something like that). Fortunately, Lara was satisfied and then she started to ask questions about other people.

Later Ari and Shmuel shared something good. I really like Shmuel. Without saying anything specific because of confidentiality, Shmuel shared something personal at the table and I really feel liked we are a lot alike. Just from what he shared and knowing that Ari is his good friend, I have a new respect for Ari. I would love to talk with Shmuel and become better acquainted, sometime. He seems like he could be encouraging. I had talked to Shmuel before and he seemed friendly enough. And, Ari definitely seemed nice enough.

At the Oneg, someone had introduced Ari and I again. We have several friends in common. Anyway, he seems very nice, although we really didn't talk much. I was surprised. He's not as intimidating as I thought. He's actually quite nice.

The Oneg was nice. I wished you would have came. I feel kinda sad that I didn't get to talk to you all Shabbat. I really want to just sit and talk with you and have you all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment