Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

My Interests

my husband: Sam and I have been married for 10 years (this October).

my kids: Noah (6), Maria (3 1/2), Aldeana (2)

Down syndrome: My middle daughter has Down Syndrome. It's been a very interesting, challenging, and growing experience for me as a mother of a child with special needs. I love it. God is good and I feel blessed for this unique experience.

homeschooling: I am just starting out to homeschool. Next school year my son will be homeschooled. (visit my post on homeschooling).

sign language: All of my kids have learned sign language (ASL) since they were babies. My husband and I are taking an on-going class on sign language (ASL). Our teacher is profoundly deaf and we have friends who are hard of hearing.

gardening: From seeds is fun. I feel more creative, though, when I can afford to buy plants and design a garden. I like floral plants and edible vegetation alike.

movies: I don't go out to the theatre much, but my Netflix queue is long! I don't watch horror/psycho-thrillers because they scare the beegeebees out of me and I get nightmares. I am even carefull about police dramas, too. But I do enjoy all the rest: romantic comedies, action/adventure, sports drama, fantasy, science fiction, epic dramas, musicals and the occasional foreign films and documentaries.

books: Since I don't have the same amount of leisure time as I had before my kids came along, I do enjoy a good audiobook to stimulate the mind.

C.S. Lewis: I fell in love with his writings when I first read "Mere Christianity" in highschool (eons ago). I like the Narnia chronicles, but really enjoyed his Ransom Trilogy. Thoroughly enjoyed "The Great Divorce" and would highly recommend that to everyone.

Anne of Green Gables: I've read/listened to all the books in the Anne series by L.M. Montgomery. My favorites are Anne of Green Gables and Anne's House of Dreams. I love to watch the movies every once in a while (as a good pick-me-up). As much as I enjoyed the third movie, Anne: The Continuing Story, I would have preferred it more if it had stayed true to the books.

3 comments:

  1. Hi~
    I backtracked over here from a comment you left on my blog regarding the Christian music nights at Knott's, and reading over your interests, I was rather amazed to find you (and your husband) share similar interests with myself and my wife. Katrina is a sign language interpreter, having taken it as her foreign language in high school, and was able to parlay it into a ten-year career with our local school district. Now, she signs freelance for a local company. (There is an enormous hearing-impaired community in Vancouver, Washington, due to the state school for the deaf being located here). If you've read further in my blog, you've seen that my wife and I are trying to adopt, and at this point, it's looking like older children. However, if we were to adopt an infant, we'd be signing to them right away (just as you said you did with your kids - that's so totally awesome! - as my wife points out, kids speak in their own version of sign before they can voice words, so why not give them language?) Also, in yet another post on my blog I pointed out my brand-new love of "Anne of Green Gables." I came to the stories rather late (I turn 36 in two months), but it's never too late to read good literature.
    Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi." I miss Long Beach... Portland, Oregon is right across the Columbia River from us, and it reminds me of Long Beach in a lot of ways - just like LB is #2 to LA, PDX is #2 to Seattle in the Northwest, and that adds to the place's funkiness. It's a cool town.
    Check back in my blog archives for a post called "Scooter's Great Adventure" or something like that, describing the time, back in '95, when I explored the old abandoned Masonic Temple on (is it Locust St.?) downtown. Great memories of a great town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is interesting that your kids all know sign lang i heard that it is easy to teach them as babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Heather, It's Matt. Just wanted to say Hi and wanted to say also that I LOVE C.S.Lewis. How can we effectively share the truths he portrays to our students? This is a fun little website. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete