Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Updated news on a friend

My best friend has just recently started experiencing panic attacks. She described what they were to me. She's had a couple episodes now. She most worries about her 2 kids (5 and 2 y.o.) It is scary to be a mom and feel out of control. She worries, too, because her mom has manic depression (Bi-polar Disorder) and her brother is Schitzophrenic. She is seeing her regular doctor and a psychiatrist. It seems she is doing a lot better--from what she tells me about her feelings, behavior, and what her husband tells her. I am sooo glad. I was really worried. She is taking some meds that seem to help as well as the counseling. She was diagnosed with Bi-polar (but very mild, if that), but the psychiatrist thinks it is (more so) 'panic disorder' because of the panic attacks. With the meds, her panic attacks are minimized and she doesn't have nightmares (which means more sleep at night!!) I am soo thankful for professionals that really care and that don't just diagnose by the book; although I am always on the alert. It seems every case is a little different. She just happens to be one of those that is high functioning--she is a full-time teacher, a mother of 2, just started hosting a Bible-study at her home and tries to exercises regularly. Although I am her best friend, I live an hour away. I am praying that God will bring another best friend into her life because she really seems to need a bosom friend close by (that can really be on call and available on the spot). She seems to think she has a hard time relating to other women (except for me). But she makes a great friend, so I know if the right person (supportive, loyal and not gossipy) comes a long and has a similar connection to what she and I have, then that will be a heap of help. I know that God sees and knows her needs and will provide!

No comments:

Post a Comment