Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Camp jitters

Friday, July 07, 2006

It's summertime...when all fine american kids get to go to summer-camp. So after family camp, Noah has decided that this year he wanted to try going to kids camp on his own for the first time.

Upon a lot of consideration, we thought that camp would be fun and exciting for him. After all, Oak Glen camp is practically a second home for me (I've grown-up going to camp there since I was very little). Yet, it totally surprised me that I would be one with some misgivings and apprehension.

I think I know Noah pretty well. And...he is what some would call "attached." He's always had a difficult time spending-the-night away from us. I know that definitely he would have a great time and will make new friends. I only worry about when night rolls around. Will he cry because Dad's not there to read a bedtime story? Will he give the campfolks a hard time and want desparately to go home? Will anyone know not to give him too much to drink at night?

In any case, we are sending him off and making preparations. We've coached him on how to use the calling card for anytime he feels the need to call. We've informed the camp director that Sam will come up and be a last-minute councelor if that's what's needed to encourage him to stay the whole weekend. We've labeled his clothes and paraphenalia. We've packed his favourite pillow and blanky (which happens to be a twin size comforter!). We're doing all we can to make him feel comfortable and loved.

I hope he makes it through. It's only two nights. And, like someone said of him, "he's brave and adventurous." All-in-all, I know that things will go well. But, I can't help but think of the song, "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (Camp Granada song)" and pray that all does go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment