One of the best gifts you can give a family is a BIBLE. I recently came across a children's Bible that was highly recommended, The Child's Story Bible by Catherine F. Vos. I checked it out on Amazon.com--I looked inside it and read a bit of it. I fell in love with it! So much so I am recommending it to all my friends to get for themselves or for another family.
What I like about it is that it is a chronological narrative of the whole Bible--that is, it goes through the Bible chronologically (as aposed to typical biblical canons) in an easy, captivating story form that your kids will love. Compared to other children's Bibles, this one is full of deep, meaningful details and is conscise.
Also, what's beautiful about it is that Jesus is alluded to in every chapter. It is meant for 4 years old and up. But, Allie listens to the stories and Noah's questions and ideas lends well for her understanding.
Best of all, I like connecting with the kids on a soul to soul, spiritual level. When we get into this book, the concepts and stories and how they are retold helped me to share casually what I know about God--especially when I can't always thinks of how to explain it to kids or I forget to correlate God to our everyday, routine events. This book helps to bring those biblical principles to light and for discussion.
When I asked Noah about this book, he said, "It's pretty good. I can learn. From your [adult] Bible, I can't understand some words. [From this Bible] I can think and ask questions."
Check it out. It's great for daily family devotions!