On a good day like today, I get a chance to read, meditate, & write (especially before the kids get up)!
I picked up a great book a few weeks back, "Don't Waste Your Life" by Jon Piper. This book is amazing. It really has changed my life. One thing I've thought of that ties ministry, my life, homeschooling & "making your way in the world," and all these efforts combined, is the idea of "not wasting your life".
I've been studying the 'Thomas Jefferson education model' by Oliver DeMille. In just listening to these ideas and contemplating people's family life situations, I began to think that so many people (including myself) misunderstand or get confused about the real purpose to homeschooling. It's not academics. This might be a surprise. But, one reason I feel that it's not academics is because everybody is equipped to learn to varying degrees, and in their own time, and to their own interests. But, in the end, what does it profit anybody and by what means can anyone account for their "education"? The only thing that can ever be true to these questions is Jesus. Only by God's grace can anyone credit their educaiton and only by God's grace can anyone benefit or profit from their education and only to/for the purposes of God's glory can their education have eternal significance.
So when a parent is asked why they homeschool, the answer should correspond to their belief/account in/for their hope, love, joy, glory in God/Jesus. To me, to "homeschool" is a blessed opportunity to impact the "world" for an eternal, kingdom, spiritual cause. Homeschool parents are just a vessel of opportunity for God's glory to pour into another's life; not any particularly amazing person doing/using just the right curriculum is going to turn out an amazing kid that will turn out amazing work. Only God can do that and coordinate all the factors. So...don't wast your life homschooling if its more than simply trusting God in a God-filled family life that emphasizes Him. Do it for the pure purpose of glorifying/exalting Him. We are, in a sense, called to be our children's "guru" of sorts with our main duty as spiritual mentors or religious advisors. And, homeschooling allows us to do it the best of our ability and to the furtherest extent possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment