read this article, "Down syndrome dangers..." by Joni Eareckson Tada.
don't know who Joni is? read her bio page. she has an autobiography and there's been a movie made about her.
excerpt from the article:
Recently Doug [a camp volunteer] said, "Joni, when I get married, I hope that my wife and I will have a child with Down syndrome." I was startled, but chalked it up to youthful idealism. Since then, I have come to see that Doug meant what he said. He observed a special joy in children and adults with Down syndrome, as well as a godliness that strengthened his faith. He could also tell these children blessed the lives of the moms and dads to whom he administered over the years.
i remember thinking something very similiar when i was a kid: i thought DS kids were so cute.
after reading the article, i thought about what an impact it could be to place a "disabilities" center right next store to a "planned parenting" site. or it least i thought of hanging out with my kids right outside the door of "planned parenting". of course i don't believe abortion is right, but i have to say that i do support a woman's "right to choose". and most importantly, people like us ought to do better in educating others about prejudices against people with disabilities. the saddest thing about our freedoms in america is that people often forget to seek information and consistently make uninformed (if not malinformed) choices.
a friend once told me of a conversation she had with her adult daughter about the very real possibility that if she chose to abort, she may very well be killing her future best friend. i often think of that when i am so enamored and overwhelmed with the love i have for my kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment