I will try to write with more perspective and less emotions.
I want to respond just to the idea of living a life according to the Noahide laws. I think my friends know already that I don't like the idea. There is a place for Noahide law, and I can understand and value its purpose. But it is not the purpose that I seek. I think a person does the Noahide laws if they feel too conflicted to pursue Judaism all the way. It is for people who can't find it within themselves to value the whole Jewish faith. It is for people who want the basics in following biblical principles. I am not that person. I am not conflicted and I value the Jewish faith immensely. I want to grow in knowledge...not just stop. My fear isn't so much of missing out on the world to come. I just want to feel complete in my spiritual endeavor in this life. And, I want to share and pass that on to my kids. I want to share that idea with others, if possible. I cannot avoid the whole of Judaism and only go part way. I will always be wanting more. I cannot just do the Noahide law, because I would always be reminded of wanting more. There is a place for Noahide law. It has a specific value and special purpose. A Noahide community would be meaningful for the people in the general public, that is true. But sometimes my friends are not right about me.
I don't want to be disrespectful of my friends. I know people must have their reasons for even suggesting it. I am trying to understand. But please, I don't like being urged me to do less than what I feel is right for me. Hashem knows my heart. A Noahide community is not for me. I want Hashem. I want His people. I want to follow all His laws that set apart His people. So don't ask me to follow the Noahide law. It feels like I want to disregard our friendship--to guard my heart and mind from listening to folly and compromise.
People need to understand what I want. Some Jews must choose to be observant, while others are comfortable being less observant. Well, the desire is in me, too. We are not so different. I don't like being compelled to be so different. It felt encouraging when we are similarly understood as choosing a more observant way of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment