The book "26 Reasons Why Jews Don't Believe in Jesus" is such a good book. It expresses the same sentiments I had while coming to know the Jewish faith. The author's experience into excepting orthodox Judaism was very similar to mine, as a convert, on an intellectual level. The problems I had with Christianity were the same ones that the author described (on page xix-xx). Even after I had grown in the Christian faith and studied apologetics (defense of Christianity), I still felt I had these shadowy impression of God and a blurry understanding of His word. I wanted "authentic context" (described on page xix). I remember reading a book last year called "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper and was dumbfounded at myself that I really hadn't ever learned to "properly handle" the words that were written in the Bible. I had nagging questions but I really didn't know where to find the answers in the Bible. I went about with these vague assumptions that the answers I was was looking for were in the Bible, and they were the answers that I had been taught, but I really couldn't get at them. I had questions and was simply just taught the answers throughout my life. In application, I was never "free" to move about the text of the Bible. Christianity left me feeling contextually weak in my intellect (the understanding and extrapolating the meanings) and I was strong in blind faith. I was searching for some spirituality and was wanting intellectual growth.
The next logical thing to do was to study the original text of the Bible. I asked a pastor one time to be my mentor and they brushed me off--they really didn't have time. I knew then that I wanted to go back to school, but I couldn't see how to make that work. I was treading water at that point. That was just last year. I was yearning to study for my intellect. I wanted to understand G-d better for my spiritual relationship, I was emotionally weak and wanted a community to connect with who would help me grow. The community I was in was not all that vibrant. Most people didn't know the Bible first hand. And there is a lack of strong traditions that moves people to an authentic community.
So then I began to revisit and explore that notion that I had always felt--that maybe Judaism really had something? Maybe G-d really meant it when He said to the children of Israel that "if you obey Me faithfully and keep My covenant, you shall be to Me...a holy nation" (Exodus 19). That is the kind of relationship I want with G-d. And it is the kind of relationship I wanted with an authentic community of believers.
Of course, by the time I started talking to my Jewish friends, I was ready and wanting to learn and study the Torah...and now I want to come into that covenant with G-d and I don't want to be alone. That is why I want to convert. I seek that same Jewish understanding of the nature of G-d and the Jewish people's role and their mission to the world as my own (as described on page xxxiii).
Along with that search for "authentic content" and "intellectual depth", I have seen my heart change. I identify more now with the Jewish people than with Christians. My heart is moving closer in alignment to and I am empathetic with the Jewish community. And I have felt more and more disenfranchised by the Christian community. But I also know that Christians are just people and so I do not hate nor am I unloving. My heart and my intellect is just in a different place from theirs and I want so much to be Jewish.
I have heard about "The Problem" (page xxi) and I have experienced and known about the evangelizing of Jews and now I am sad. I know what it had taken for me to get where I am in my relationship with G-d. It was an arduous journey and an exercise of faith to move from where I was to where I am today. And even a few weeks ago when I sincerely questioned who Jesus was and found that a belief in him was unnecessary (especially as it applies to personal salvation), I was sad for the Jews who are misled. I feel more compelled when now I understand the gravity of the offense/penalty when Jews are led astray. This was new to me from the reading.
I am just devouring the book. I knew that I would. Thanks to Corey for suggesting it to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment