Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

laundry idea

Just wanted to share an idea I got from a friend, once. I loved it when I heard it and have tried it for only a little while. But, as I am doing my laundry, I keep thinking I should pass the idea on to others to try for themselves.

Here's the idea: when doing laundry, put coordinating short/pants and shirt in gallon-size plastic bag along with socks and diaper/underwear (and whatever else you'd like to add). Then put away in drawers as usual. This works for babies & preschoolers as well as school-age kids (0-10 years old).

The idea is simple, but helpful in so many ways.1-It keeps coordinating outfits together. 2-Less run-around--no scrambling here and there and everywhere (while chasing a naked child) to find all the pieces for an ensemble. 3-It's convenient when in a hurry or when just needing to grab a spare outfit when heading out the door. 4-Helps earlier learners to find an outfit (bag) quickly and simplifies the morning dress routine for them.(For preschoolers, you may still have to supervise/open the bag and dress them. But when they are developmentally ready, it is good fine-motor practice to open and close the bag along with fitting on the clothes). 5- Also, it helps kids (and dads) learn that outfits go together in a particular way (color, patterns, or exactly what pieces compose an outfit).

So my question was: "Is your a son a good dresser, now?" She said, "Yes!! Because now he knows what an appropriate, suitable outfit looks like."

Some tips I found that helped in the process:

*You don't need ZIPLOCK. You can use whatever bag is cheaper or on sale. Make sure it has a closure, though.

*The idea is to reuse the bag. Don't keep buying new bags.

*You can label the bags with the child's name (and even choose a special color marker for each child). For pre-readers, is helps in name-recognition practice!!

*Or maybe label the bag with the clothing size. It's a good reminder of when to pass the outfit on because it no longer fits. (This works for a single child as well as same sex siblings).

I'm still in the trial phase. But if you try this, let me know what you think: Was it helpful in any way? Any ideas for improvement? What made it cool for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment