Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

not so cute

Wednesday, November 08, 2006


Current mood: pensive

I had a nice day today. A friend came over with her kids. The mommies had a nice visit and the kids played tremendously well. I love it when our kids get together because they have the same interests: climbing trees, playing make-believe and making up games together.

There was a brief moment of an adrenaline rush and near panic when Maria got away from me, running down the sidewalk towards a fairly busy street. I sprinted so fast. Thankfully I got to her in time and was able to "talk" her into turning around by the time she got to the corner. It was a fine line between her personal descision to stop when the sidewalk ended and her obedient response to my frantic commands to "stop!"(or whatever it was I tried yelling to get her to turn her attention to me).

Of course we ended the day with a little more drama when my youngest, Allie, got the notion to use the scissors on her hair. I love her hair especially because it's naturally curly. She cut her hair in the two most easily accessable areas of her hair--the sides, just above her ears. She looks like some boy from the civil war re-enactment.

Later on I told her, sympathetically, that I was very sad she had cut her hair. That, I really liked her curly hair. And she answered, feeling my heartache, "I know, mommy. It makes me sad, too. It will grow backsoon. It just need some time." How very consoling is that?

Yeah, her comment and pathetic smile totally just melted my heart dispite her missing curls. You know, if I braid her hair in back or put it in a low pony tail she'd actually look more like a pirate ship's boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment