Welcome message

Browse around. Discover my thoughts about
life, my family, friendships, special-needs kids,
healthy living, adoption,
books and philosophy.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

the change in me

I have not explained yet, in full, how my life has changed or why it had to change. Most people just see my seemingly impulsive behavior and don't understand.

In a nutshell, some things throughout my whole life, here and there, were always reoccurring as if God had written a theme upon my life. And other things, detrimental things, that occurred were of my own design. And then there are just things that happened to me that I just couldn't help, but had shaped my life in an obtuse kind of way.

If I were to simplify the explanation for the big "change," I see that there are 4 basic parts that were dysfunctional about my life that caused me to want to just halt everything. (1)I was raised in this fanatically evangelical ultra-conservative environment so I, in turn, (2) created (and was living) a fictious life where (3) I totally lost the real me in the process and (4) got horrifically overwhelmed with my life that I've created for myself. Sam knows this to some extent and Diana and I talk about this regularly in detail throughout the day.

I am learning to let go of my crazy upbringing. I am creating a new life that is truly me and is within the scope of my abilities, my passions, interests, my hopes and dreams.

I would want to tell you everything but all the white space afforded me could not contain enough room to type it all out. If only I could tell you about all of our conversations and details of our discussions between Diana and I these past weeks! There has been so much that I've processed through. She has brought a balanced perspective and even she wonders how I haven't managed to explode well before now. Suffice it to say that I have learned so much about myself and I am more capable now (to do for myself) than I've ever been able to, before.

My religious convictions was only one aspect of my transition in life. It was one that I had already begun long before recent events. And, if I told you everything then you could easily see that I had always been impressed by G-d in this direction towards Judaism. Instrumentally, certain friends were but a small tool used by G-d. And I am so grateful that they have shared their lives with me. G-d took particular Jewish friends and inserted them into my life to fully awakened my senses, and draw me closer to Him.

The other stuff has been difficult because I have needed to find ME again...and to redirect and make some decisions...and let go of other things. But it's been good, I feel, and I like the person I am becoming. And I like my prospects for the future. I have begun to return to my old dreams and am making plans to see them through. I plan to always remain faithful to my love and responsibility to my kids. They are part the best things in my life. They are first and foremost.

Beyond that, I plan to take care of myself. I need to be an individual. I want to go back to school to study and get my Master's degree. I want to write a book, someday. I want to study Judaism and convert. I want to travel more (including going to Israel)--there are so many places I've always wanted to go and see. I have always wanted to do those things and never knew when to make them happen. I felt lost and left behind. I lost myself in this sacrificial, fictitious world I had created. I was trying too hard to deny who I was in favour of some sort of evangelically, perfectly nice dream life. When people asked if I was happy, it really stirred something in me that was trying desperately to get out. (I, of course don't blame anyone for that, either. It was a perfectly good question that needed an honest answer).

I am learning and processing how not to be so sacrificial--I just can't be all things to all people in my sphere. I cannot begin to tell you how, in the past, I have denied myself the person that is truly me. And it just wasn't fair to myself or the people around me. Nor can I explain any better how or why I had created that world for myself--Diana says it is because I am a people please-er too much (and there is probably some ounce of truth in that). But I truly believe that G-d doesn't want me there and He has been calling me out of that enclave and into a better life--with wisdom, purpose, and favour.

Anyway. I have all this crap to work through. It is hard to put into words what I am thinking in my head. And, I am working really hard to be a genuinely good person, even though it may look like I'm sluffing everyone off. Some people just aren't meant to keep as friends and it's better to just be cordial.

No comments:

Post a Comment